10 - Adaptation - Jan 09, 2017
Topics addressed in the lecture:
- What is adaptation?
- Luminance adaptation
- the dynamic range of vision
- Threshold elevation by adaptation
- the contrast sensitivity function
- frequency and orientation specific adaptation
- motion aftereffects
- orientation aftereffects
- how to explain the tilt after effect
- complex aftereffects
Examples for questions you should be able to answer:
- Attention changes the response of the nervous system to a given stimulus. Why is this useful feature, rather than a failure of the system?
- Describe the change in luminance sensitivity after a period of luminance adaptation ends.
- What is the contrast response function?
- Describe and explain the tilt aftereffect, i.e. the misperception of an orientation after adaptation by a similar orientation.
- Give an example of a complex adaptation aftereffect.
- Describe the interaction between attention and adaptation. [for seminar participants]
- Contrast response function
- Dynamic range of sensory systems
- Fourier analysis
- Spatial frequency tuning curves
Last update of this page: Jan 26, 2017